Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Scavenger Hunt: Compassion Calling

Compassion Scavenger Hunt
 
Assignment: 
Take a photo of a flip phone.
 
Reason:
According to the World Bank, three-quarters of the world’s inhabitants now have access to a mobile phone. To recognize this, take a photo of a flip phone, assuming you can find one. Nielsen reports that smartphone owners now make up the majority (61%) of mobile subscribers in the U.S. 
 

This is a picture of my daughter and her Disney Princess toy flip phone.  Finding an actual flip phone is hard to do these days.  Electronics are changing and evolving at an extremely fast pace.

I was shocked when I recently learned that our cell phones have most likely been made with slave labor. The problem lies in the minerals that are used to make our electronics. 

Tantalum, Tin, Tungsten (The 3 T's) and Gold

Actually, the minerals themselves are not the problem, but in how and where they are mined.  These minerals are located mostly in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) - an area wrought with conflict.  To give you an idea of what is going on there and the terrible abuses of human rights:
  • The war in the Congo is the deadliest since World War II (More than 5 million have died)
  • The rebel forces are abducting boys as young as 7-8 years old.  They arm them with machine guns and train them to be child soldiers.  They are forced to  perform brutal acts of rape and warfare to support the cause of the rebel forces.
  •  DR Congo is considered the worst place to be a woman.  An estimated 400,000 women are brutally raped annually.
The minerals mined under such war torn conditions are referred to as conflict minerals.  The sale of these conflict materials are used to fund this ongoing war in the DR Congo and to keep control of the mines.
 
I have a smart phone, but I was very slow in getting one.  In fact when I took my flip phone in for an upgrade the sales person laughed and told me he hadn't seen my style of phone in a long time.  That was 2 years ago and I am already eligible for another upgrade.  About 6 months ago, I was excited about the prospect of upgrading my phone.  But after reading about conflict materials it doesn't seem all that important any more.  I find it sad that we live in such a disposable society when so many others have much, much less than we do.  I have a phone that works and does everything I need it to do.  Do I really need to trade it in for an upgrade just because my provider tells me I'm eligible?  Now that I know what goes into making my cell phone, I'm thinking now that an upgrade can wait.  Maybe even until the salesperson will tell me they haven't seen my style of smart phone in a long time.

If you want to learn more or take action on this issue, please visit Raise Hope For Congo.
You will find a lot of great information on their website along with tools for you to contact electronics companies and ask if their minerals are conflict-free.

Not So Fun Fact:  Nintendo scores ZERO on the list of electronic companies and their efforts to use conflict free materials.  This means they have done next to nothing to shift their practices.


For more information about the contest visit:  Compassion Scavenger Hunt

No comments:

Post a Comment