Friday, January 25, 2013

My "It's Not OK" Moment

A few weekends ago we had a wonderful message at church.  The pastor was speaking about his experience of running 100 miles for children in Africa.  100 miles!  I can't even imagine.  The last two summers I ran a 1/2 marathon with Team World Vision to raise money for clean water projects for communities in Africa.  It was the hardest thing I've ever done.  At the time I couldn't even think about running a full marathon much less 100 miles.  The reason he was doing this, along with 4 other runners, was to get children sponsored through World Vision.  In his message he posed the question "Have you had an It's Not OK Moment?"  For him it was on a trip to South Africa where he met an 8 year old little girl.  He was visiting the place where they lived.  He asked her where she slept and she took him around the corner and pointed to a cold cow dung floor.  He asked her where her bed was and she pointed to the ground.  He asked her if she had a blanket or something to sleep with and she held up a thin sheet full of holes.  God wrecked his soul and he bend over weeping saying "God, this is not OK"

To view his message click here

My "It's Not OK Moment" happened when I  was viewing a video at church a few years ago.  They highlighted the issue of human trafficking in some country that I don't remember.  What I do remember is the image of the young girls being rescued.  I remember seeing girls that must have been 6 or 7 years old being pulled from this dark room.  It wrecked me, but I didn't know what to do with those feelings.  The Lord kept laying the issue on my heart over the next year or so.  I began researching and reading books about human trafficking.  I was horrified to learn how far reaching this was.  When I first began my research I thought of this as something that only happens in other countries.  I was shocked to  learn that it was even going on here in the United States!  I started this blog as an outlet for all the emotions I was feeling in my research of human trafficking. It's a way for me to organize my thoughts and hopefully educate others.  I feel like I am trying to find my way and discover how God wants to use me on this.  Perhaps right now it is for me to spread the word that these things are happening.  Many people are simply unaware.   

I have been extremely fortunate that my church was willing to bring awareness to this issue.  They asked me to head up a volunteer team for human trafficking within the Compassion and Justice ministy.  Even though this is way out of my comfort zone I said yes.  For me this could not be one of those things where I thought "Someone else would be better suited for this" or "Someone else will be able to take care of that."  So we are hosting quarterly forums to raise awareness.  We are hoping that over the summer we can take a group of volunteers and go serve at one of the local organizations. 

I think sometimes we get comfortable with our lives and we would rather not know how others are hurting, broken, forgotten.  We choose to look the other way.  But God calls us to help those who are forgotten.

Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.  (Isaiah 1:7)

Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.  Psalm 82:3-4

If you have not had an "It's Not OK Moment" will you ask God to open your eyes to the forgotten, the voiceless, the powerless?  I'm reminded of the song by Brandon Heath.  The lyrics to the chorus are powerful...

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see

Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see


The forgotten, the voiceless, the powerless.
It breaks my heart. It breaks God's heart. 
How will you remember those who are forgotten?

Pinned Image


3 comments:

  1. We live in a broken world, but scenes like this breaks my heart. Thanks for this reminder!
    Much love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is so much suffering in the world and we can become demoralized by thinking that "Gee, I'm just one person!" But we should concentrate not on changing the world but one small piece of it that we can, by our prayers, by our personal treasure, and if we can our hands on involvement. We needn't sell everything we own and pack up for an extended stay in some third world country. Yet, thank goodness there are people who do. But we can change one small portion of the world thru organizations just like World Vision. Another objection some bring up is: "Gee, how do I know the money I contribute isn't mishandled?" My only response is we should be discerning about what organization we trust. So many of us put our trust in the funds we give for our day to day living without a thought about it. But eventually we must trust in Christ that our charity is used for his purposes, to feed, clothe and mend the sick. It's not on me if its misused because Christ knows where my heart is on the matter. My experience with World Vision has never lead me to have even an ounce of concern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lyrics to the song is so the cry of my heart. Even at the mall I look into faces that are disappointed in life, have faced heartache, live in abusive situations. I've had some of them come up and ask me to pray for them. Others, I've whispered silent prayers. Through every encounter I want to encourage and bring people to Jesus. I've seen Africa through my husband's eyes, Haiti through my daughters, but the hurting and needy in America I have seen through my own.

    ReplyDelete